More than 80% of Canada's raspberries are grown right here in the Fraser Valley. And since it is the season...there are a lot of raspberry recipes happening around here these days. Here is a moist raspberry coffee cake...that we enjoyed yesterday.
Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz./250 ml cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 10" spring form pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- With a pastry blender or electric mixer, combine flour, sugar and cool butter until well blended and mixture resembles a fine streusel. Measure out 1 cup of crumbs and set aside.
- To remaining streusel mix, add baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix.
- Add sour cream, egg and vanilla and beat only until the batter is smooth.
- Spread the batter onto the bottom and slightly up the sides of the prepared pan.
- Using a clean mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar. Add egg and orange zest and beat until light and fluffy.
- Next, spread the cream cheese filling over the cake batter.
- Scatter the fresh raspberries over the filling.
- Top with reserved cup of streusel.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the streusel is golden and toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
- Place on a rack to cool. Remove ring and slide cake onto a dessert plate.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.