My friend, Doreen, who caters elegant teas, shared this recipe with me. Although she has given me liberty to share it, I have tweaked it a bit, not to give away all of her secrets. I love this chicken salad in a puff pastry. A wonderful addition to a girls' lunch or shower.
Puffs or Choux Pastry Ingredients:
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup white Cheddar Cheese, grated
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- Bring butter, salt, pepper and water to boil in a small pot.
- Remove from heat and quickly add flour, stirring vigorously, until it completely loosens from sides of pot.
- Beat in eggs, separately, until smooth.
- Stir in cheese and mustard.
- Drop by tsp on greased and floured cookie sheets.
- Bake at 450 F for the first 10 min. Lower temp to 350 F and bake another 25 min – 30 min.
- Cool and slice open. these can be made ahead and frozen. Yield 24 -28
- 3 cups roasted chicken, diced
- 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups grapes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Mix ingredients and refrigerate. Fill puffs just before serving.