This bread is easy to make and your house will smell wonderful as it's baking!
- 1 1/2 cups scalded milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 2 cups bran
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups multigrain flour
- 2 cups white flour
- Scald milk, add honey, salt, oil and water and mix till honey is melted.
- Add bran, wheat germ, ground flaxseed and stir until mixed.
- Add in multigrain, whole wheat and white flour and yeast, stirring and kneading as you add each flour. Add the white flour 1 cup at a time, add a little more if you need it to make a slightly firm but not too hard a dough. Knead approx 8 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and let rise in a warm place till doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Punch down and cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a loaf and put into greased 91/2" x 51/2" loaf pans. With a rolling pin I roll each piece into a flat rectangle, then roll it up to form a loaf. This helps to avoid air pockets in the bread.
- Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- Bake at 400ºF for 28 minutes. Sometimes my loaves 'fall in' a bit as they bake but it doesn't change the flavor or texture and I kind of like the uneven top:)
- Yields: 4 loaves