Lemon Chess Pie
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell (use your favorite pastry recipe or purchase frozen piecrust)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Tblsp. flour (or 1 T flour and 1 T cornmeal)
- 5 large eggs
- freshly grated zest of one lemon
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Place pie crust in 9-inch pie plate...and flute edges.
- Combine sugar and flour in mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating at medium speed with mixer until well blended.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, and melted butter. Mix well.
- Pour filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Bake on lower rack of oven for 45 minutes at 325°F...or until puffed and golden brown in colour.
- When cool...cut and serve each wedge with a dollop of whipped cream...and a sauce of fresh raspberries or blackberries.
Since the raspberries are in season at the moment and readily available in the garden, I simply mashed the fresh berries, added sugar to taste, and drizzled a little over each piece of pie.
*If a thicker sauce is preferred, combine 1 1/2 cups mashed berries with 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons corn starch dissolved in 1 1/2 Tbsp. cold water, and cook in microwave until thickened (about 3 minutes on high), stirring every minute. Cool and chill before using.