- 10 - 12 small yams, peeled and cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 – 1 cup walnuts
- 1 small bag miniature marshmallows
- Arrange half the yam slices in a glass baking dish.
- Mix sugar, salt and pepper, then sprinkle half of it on the yams.
- Dot with half the butter, cut in small pieces.
- Arrange remaining yams and top with the rest of the sugar and butter.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 F for 30 min.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and continue baking another 30 - 45 min. or until yams are soft.
- Five minutes before serving, remove foil, cover with mini marshmallows and bake uncovered until golden.
After posting this recipe, I actually found the original recipe, calling for sweet potatoes (orange in the photo) and more sugar and butter. You can add according to personal preferences, but even as posted it is quite sweet. About the potato or the yam, I've come to the conclusion that the name switches according to where you live.