I recently saw an article about the confusion between yams and sweet potatoes. The origianl recipe that inspired this one was called Sweet Potato Casserole, however, the picture showed the orange flesh. In our area the orange fleshed potatoes are yams and the white fleshed are sweet potatoes, but I've come to learn it all depends on where you live. This recipe uses orange yams and lightens up on the sugar and butter. It is still quite sweet, but so delicious with turkey dinner.
- 10 - 12 small (size of a large potato) yams, peeled and cut crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed small
- 1/2 – 1 cup walnuts or pecans
- 1 small bag miniature marshmallows
- Peel and cut yam crosswise about 1/2 inch thick.
- Arrange half the yam slices in a glass baking dish.
- Mix sugar, salt and pepper, then sprinkle half of it on the yams.
- Dot with half the butter.
- Arrange remaining yams and top with the rest of the sugar and butter.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400° F for 30 min.
- Sprinkle with nuts, cover and continue baking another 45 minutes or until yams are soft.
- Five minutes before serving, remove foil, cover with mini marshmallows and bake uncovered until golden. Serves 12