Apple muffins...hot from the oven to warm the 'inner man'! They are great morning, noon or night...
and a perfect addition to the school lunch bag. This recipe came from Betty Crocker's cookbook (copyright 1969)...which happens to be one of my old favorites.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup coarsely grated apple
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Beat egg.
- Stir in milk, oil and grated apple.
- Mix in remaining ingredients, just until flour is moistened. Batter should be lumpy.
- Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes...or until golden.
- Yield...12 muffins
*Optional Crunch Topping: Sprinkle muffins with a mixture of 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup chopped nuts and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. The topping is wonderful on fresh muffins...not quite so good later on.