My friend Dorothy submitted this recipe to our first GWG Greendale Church cookbook.
It's been a favourite of ours for years. Definitely one of those comfort food recipes.
It's a good dish to feed to those "fussy about veggies" kids and grandkids (and their elders).
- 2 pounds squash - I've used butternut, or acorn
- 2-3 apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Cut the end off the squash and peel. (I use a good potato peeler) Peel and core the apples.
- Cut the squash and apples into 1 inch cubes and place in casserole dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients except pecans and spread over squash and apples. top with chopped nuts if desired.
- Cover with lid or foil and bake for 50-60 minutes in a 350 F degree oven. Or you can cook it in the microwave until tender. Either way it makes a wonderful fall side dish.