I've made a few changes to the muffin recipe since then. I thought it was very healthy back then but my sense of healthy food has changed a bit. These muffins are perfect for school lunches. . . my boys took many of these to school.
- 2 cups boiling water mixed with. . .
- 2 cups All Bran Cereal .. .and let stand
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil. . or other light oil
- 4 beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1 quart. . .or 1 litre buttermilk
- 1 navel orange. . . . peel and all (take out the seeds. . thats a little too much fibre)
- 3 cups fresh raisins
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 2 1/2 cups of white flour
- 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 4 cups natural bran
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- In a medium sized bowl, pour your boiling water over the All Bran and let cool. .. for a bit.
- Cream together the oil, sugar, molasses and the eggs in a very large bowl.
- In a blender put your chopped orange, and half of the buttermilk, and puree well.
- Add the rest of the buttermilk and the orange mixture into the All Bran mixture.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients. . .you'll need another large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
This muffin mix keeps for 6 weeks. You only need to make what you can eat in a day.
Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.