- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup potato starch (NOT potato flour)
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- dash of sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- rounded teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 4 tbsp ice water
- sweet rice flour for rolling
1. Blend well together the flours, xathan gum, salt and sugar. (flours for gluten-free baking must be well-blended - either sift them several times together or I put them all in a zip-lock bag and shake the bag- no dust-method, smile)
2. Cut in butter and shortening
3. Beat egg , add vinegar and ice-water.
4. Stir into flour mixture forming a ball. (Add a little more water if too dry)
5. You may knead this a bit since rice flour crust can stand handling. Knead until you have a smooth soft ball.
6. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour or more to chill.
7. Roll out between wax paper dusted with sweet rice flour. I scotch tape the wax paper to the counter to keep from sliding. Peel off top layer of wax paper , flip over onto pie plate and then carefully peel off the other layer of wax paper and fit pastry into pie shell fluting edges -- for single crust pie or for double add filling and then top with top crust .
8. Bake at 375' until lightly browned.
recipe will make one large double crust pie , or one single crust plus one platz base (recipe for gluten-free platz to follow)