I posted this recipe a couple of years ago here but once again it is that time of year when our snowbird neighbours return home, bearing gifts. Once again they brought me a lovely container of dates and of course my mouth watered for these squares.
And so here is the repeat recipe on Flashback Friday.
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups pitted and chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free oat flakes
- 1 1/4 cup Julie's Flour mix or your favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (if not included in your flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- Cook the filling until it is soft, smooth and spreadable; add more water if it gets too thick.
- Remove from stove and let cool slightly while you prepare crumbs.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, then cut or rub in the butter until you have uniform crumbs.
- Place half the crumbs into a 9 x 12 inch baking dish, pat down.
- Cover with date filling.
- Cover with remaining crumbs and pat down lightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned, about 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutting.