Every now and then we need a taste of summer in the month of April. I have found that one bag of frozen peaches at the store is a perfect size for one 9 inch pie. I almost always have discs of pie crust in the freezer which thaw quite quickly if set on the counter for half an hour or so.
Pie Crust (makes enough two double-crust pies)
- 5 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pound lard
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Measure the flour, brown sugar, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Cut in the lard with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture is like large oatmeal.
- Break the egg into a 1 cup measuring cup, and then beat the egg to break it up.
- Add the vinegar to the measuring cup and then fill with water to the 1 cup line.
- Slowly stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture with a fork until just combined.
- Turn out onto a floured counter and knead a few times to bring it together into a ball.
- Divide into four pieces, wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate them or freeze them. Use two pieces for this pie.
Peach Pie Filling
- 1 - 600-gram * bag of frozen peach slices, partially thawed (this would work out to about 5-6 cups)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- Stir together sugar, tapioca, and peaches.
- Set aside while you roll out the pie pastry.
* approximately 22 ounces since I am not sure what size bag frozen peaches are in the US
To Assemble Pie
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Roll out one disc of pastry on a floured surface until it is large enough to hang over the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Fill with peach pie filling.
- Roll out another disc of pastry and use a pizza wheel or pastry wheel to cut 1/2 inch strips for the lattice. Lay one strip horizontally, then one strip vertically over the pie and repeat, lifting and tucking strips underneath alternating to make latticework. Trim crust and turn under and flute the edges.
- Wrap the edges of the pie with strips of foil to avoid crust edges from becoming too brown.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake another 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the juices are bubbling in the center.