We have a meatless Monday recipe for you today.
This is a recipe I watched my daughter in law make one day for lunch and I thought it was a brilliant idea and it was delicious. Quinoa is high in protein and with the added egg and vegetables it is a hearty but healthy lunch!
It's hardly a recipe as much as a combination of what you have in your refrigerator and pantry.
Mix it together on Monday, have it for dinner or enjoy it over salad greens for lunch throughout the week.
- 2 cups prepared quinoa (either with vegetable stock or water)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 portabella mushroom, gills removed and mushroom diced, or a handful of button mushrooms, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can 10-ounce can / 284 ml diced tomatoes
- 1 small can green chilis
- 1 teaspoon or more to taste of dried chili flakes
- 2 handfuls of kale salad
- Romaine greens for a salad bed
- fried soft eggs
- In a large saute pan, heat oil and fry onions and mushrooms together until tender. Add remaining vegetables, seasoning and kale salad. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add prepared quinoa and heat through.
- Arrange greens on a plate, put a large serving spoon of quinoa salad in the center and top with a soft egg.