We enjoy watching a Saturday morning show on the Food Network called The Kitchen and this idea was shared on the show by Jeff Mauro. We tried it on a Sunday afternoon and enjoyed it. It's easy to make with a frozen version of Polish Pierogies or you could make it with your own homemade Savory Wareneki/Vareniki. You can use corned beef or pastrami for this recipe. We used pastrami.
- 12 frozen Polish cheese or potato Pierogies or homemade savory Wareniki/Vareniki
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced onions
- 2 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 2 or more cups grated Swiss cheese
- 1/2 pound pastrami or corned beef cut in a 1/4 inch slice and then cut in bitesize cubes
- Thousand Island Dressing to drizzle
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- Par boil and simmer pierogie in a cast iron pan or oven safe pan until they are al dente in salted water, drain and shake off all excess water, wipe off pan and return to stove top.
- Turn on the oven broiler with the the rack set on the lowest level.
- In same pan melt butter and add the drained pierogie back to the pan.
- Brown on both sides, turn off heat.
- Add the onion evenly over the pierogie.
- Add the sauerkraut evenly over the onion and pierogie.
- Add the grated cheese evenly over the sauerkraut, onion and pierogie.
- Add the cubed pastrami or corned beef on top.
- Place the pan under the broiler on the lowest rack and watch carefully until the cheese melts and bubbles.
- Remove the pan and sprinkle the chives evenly on top.
- Serve with Thousand Island Dressing drizzled on top.
- Serves 4.
You can serve this with a salad or fresh veggies to round off your meal.