The only thing that takes a bit of time to put this delicious soup together is roasting the tomatoes, during which time your kitchen takes on a wonderful aroma. If you want to be able to get this soup ready in less than 15 minutes, have the blended, roasted tomatoes ready ahead of time.
- 8 - 10 ripe, medium sized tomatoes. roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 Tbsp olive oil. divided
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup chicken broth or water with 2 rounded tsp better than bouillon
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp chili
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro or green onions
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray roasting pan with cooking spray.
- Spread chopped or quartered tomatoes on pan along with peeled, whole garlic cloves. Drizzle with half the olive oil and sprinkle with cumin. Roast 30 - 45 min or just until tomatoes are soft and begin to brown on the edges. Cool
- To medium cooking pot, add the rest of the oil, the onions and jalapeno (if using). Cook until tender, about 5 minutes, then add corn and cook until it starts to brown. Add broth.
- Blend cooled tomatoes in blender, adding milk a little bit at a time. *
- Add tomato puree to pot, along with coriander and chili. Bring to simmer. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Top with chopped green onion or cilantro and serve with crusty bread.