These little bars have a flaky buttery crust topped with a lemon layer with just enough 'pucker power'.
If you've got a lemon lover, these just might be a perfect treat for your Valentine tomorrow.
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup salted butter
- Place all three ingredients into a food processor and pulse until mixture is crumbly. Alternately, if you don't have a food processor, using a pastry cutter cut cold butter into dry ingredients until the butter is very fine.
- Press crust mixture into a 9x9 pan lined with parchment paper. Use the bottom of a cup to press crust really well into the pan. This is an important step.
- Bake in 350º oven for 15 minutes.
- Make the lemon layer while the crust is baking, as you need to pour the lemon layer on when the crust is still hot.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon zest (from 3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Beat together eggs and sugar until frothy.
- Grate in lemon zest and then squeeze fresh lemon juice into a cup to measure 1/2 cup juice. Make sure there are no seeds in the juice. Add the zest and lemon juice into the egg and sugar mixture. Beat well.
- Add flour and baking powder and beat until incorporated.
- Once the crust has baked, immediately pour this mixture over the hot crust and put back into the oven to bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove and let sit until cool. Once cool dust with powdered sugar.
- To cut, remove bars by carefully lifted the edges of the parchment paper and lifting the whole thing out of the pan. Cut bars to desired size.
You can store these in an air tight container for 3-4 days.