This is really simple to put together and tastes every bit as good as the regular cabbage rolls. It doesn't photograph well but with colorful additions to the plate it looks quite appetizing. I served cheese toast and pickled beets as sides with this dish. These lazy man's cabbage rolls freeze well..double the recipe and package up a few meals to go in the freezer or share with another family.
My daughter Alison shared this recipe with me and I adapted it slightly.
- 1/2 pound ground beef, you can use half ground pork if desired.
- 1/2 cup Minute rice
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped..I omitted this as we are not onion lovers:)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice..I used V8 juice
- Mix together ground beef, rice, onions if using, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour a thin layer of tomato juice on the bottom of a 8" square pan.
- Crumble half of the meat mixture over the juice.
- Layer half of the cabbage mix on top of the meat mixture.
- Pour over 1/2 cup tomato juice.
- Repeat layers and pour over the rest of the tomato juice.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake in 325º oven for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Check every 30 minutes, if it looks like it's getting too dry add extra tomato juice. I didn't have to add any.
- Serves: 4 to 6 depending on the appetites:)