This is one of those recipes that 'happened by mistake'...and has become an annual favorite. We were served these tasty little peppermint morsels at a Christmas open-house many years ago. The hostess kindly gave out the recipe. I thought I had copied it out wrong since the butter was missing...so I added half a cup of butter. The cookies were delightful and I have made them every Christmas since. I later discovered that there really was no butter in the original version...but I'm sticking to my updated recipe. Everything tastes better with butter. Right? These freeze well and taste great straight from the freezer.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream softened butter and sugar.
- Add cream, egg and peppermint extract; beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
- Chill dough for at least one hour.
- Roll out to about 1/4" thick and cut with tiny cookie cutters.
- Bake at 350°F for 5-6 or until bottoms begin to brown.
- Drizzle with peppermint frosting. (For pale green icing add food colouring.)
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes, if desired.
- 1/4 cup soft butter
- 2 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Beat softened butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, milk and peppermint extract. Beat until smooth.
- Add a little more milk if necessary in order to drizzle the icing.
*Tip ~ Put icing into a Ziploc bag, snip the corner and drizzle over the cookies.
Have you done any Christmas baking yet?
PS From all of us to all of you who are celebrating Thanksgiving today...Happy Thanksgiving!