The pumpkin pie consistency of this dessert really is a surprise. It's easy to make and a great alternative to pumpkin pie for your Thanksgiving meal.
- 1 Box yellow cake mix (without pudding)
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2 sticks (1 cup) melted butter
- 4 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 large can (29oz.) of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 can evaporated milk (12oz.)
- 3-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix and beat all ingredients except the cake mix, walnuts & butter.
- Pour into 9 x 13 greased pan.
- Mix cake mix with the walnuts.
- Sprinkle this mix evenly on top of the mix already in the pan.
- Drizzle the melted butter on top of this mix.
- Bake 60 to 75 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold topped with whip cream or ice cream.
- Serves 12-16
The original recipe called for 1-1/2 cups of sugar. I cut down the sugar to 1 cup and substituted brown sugar for the white. If you don't have pumpkin pie spice you could use 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon cloves.