It's fun to switch up even the mashed potatoes for special occasions. This version, with caramelized onions, was inspired by a recipe from Style at Home last Fall and I thought it would go well with the Easter ham now.
- 8 medium sized gold potatoes, with skin on
- 2 apples, cored and peeled
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 large onions
- 6 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1/4 cup milk (or less)
- 2 Tbsp freshly stripped thyme leaves
- Wash potatoes and cook quartered potatoes and apples, garlic and salt until soft. About 25 minutes. Drain and let steam escape.
- Meanwhile, cook sliced onions in 2 Tbsp butter, stirring often, until golden brown in color. Set aside.
- Once ready to mash potatoes, add 4 Tbsp butter and milk to make desired consistency.
- Stir in fine thyme leaves.
- Layer potatoes and onions in serving dish. Can be loosely covered and kept warm on low heat in oven.
Serve with ham, pork tenderloin or roast chicken, steamed green beans and a salad.