Can you go wrong with pineapple and coconut in a pie..I think not! Drizzle a bit of glaze on top or serve warm with ice cream and you have a delicious dessert to serve your guests.
- Pastry for a 9" double crust pie
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 can ( 540 ml/19 oz ) crushed pineapple, drained (reserve 1 tablespoon juice for glaze)
- Prepare your favorite pie crust, enough for a 9" double crust pie. Roll out dough to fit a 9" pan and sprinkle with coconut.
- Drain crushed pineapple, reserving 1 tablespoon for the glaze.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, salt, lemon juice, melted butter, and drained, crushed pineapple and pour over coconut layer.
- Roll out pastry for top crust and place over filling.
- Trim and crimp edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake at 400º for 30 to 35 minutes, until golden in color.
For glaze combine:
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract (or vanilla)
- Drizzle over warm pie. Serve warm or cold.
Since I had made a larger recipe of pie dough than I needed, I used the rest of the dough to make tart shells. I love the simple way of draping the dough over an upside down muffin tin before baking. How easy is that?