For my recent "milestone" birthday, my husband took me on a Jamaican holiday.
This upside down cake ring reflects the flavours we enjoyed there - pineapple, orange and coconut.
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 1/3 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- In a bowl, combine all topping ingredients and mix well.
- Prepare a baking pan. I used a ring shaped spring form pan which I lined with parchment paper to keep it from dripping in the oven. If possible, use a 9 inch ring shaped pan. If you don't have that, you may use a 10 inch cake pan.
- Spread topping evenly in the bottom of the pan and set aside.
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- In mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat again.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating between additions.
- Add vanilla and marmalade mixing until blended..
- Add dry ingredients alternately with milk and mix until batter is thick and smooth.
- Spread batter carefully and evenly over topping in bottom of pan,
- Bake at 375º for 30 - 35 minutes or until cake tester comes out dry.
- Remove from oven and let stand on counter for 5 minutes.
- Invert pan on to a serving dish and let cool.
- Serve with ice cream or whipping cream.