Don't save the grilling season for summer. Any time of year is a great time to enjoy something off the grill and here I brined a half chicken, added a coating of spices, grilled it and near the end of the grilling mopped it with a home made BBQ sauce. Tender and tasty!
- half roasting chicken
- 8 cups cold water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- Whisk together water sugar and salt in a glass or plastic bowl.
- Add chicken making sure it is fully immersed in the brine. Cover and place in refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours or over night.
- Half hour before meat is ready to grill, drain brine and rinse chicken well under cold water. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Rub outside of chicken on all sides with the following rub and allow to sit for about 20 minutes.
- Have grill pre heated to 350-375º. Place chicken on grill beginning with cut side down. Grill for 15 minutes. Turn chicken over and grill 10 minutes.
- Mop under side of chicken generously with BBQ sauce (recipe below). Continue grilling for another 10 minutes. Turn chicken again so skin side is up. Mop generously with BBQ sauce and grill another 10 minutes. Check meat in the thickest spot for internal temperature. It should be approximately 160º for breast meat and 180º for dark meat. Remove and tent with foil for 8-10 minutes before slicing. Serve with any remaining BBQ sauce heated up slightly.
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp course salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp corn starch (this ingredient insures that the outer skin crisps up a bit)
- Mix spices together and rub on rinsed and patted dry chicken.