- 8 cups of cubed soft bread, any kind. White, french, whole wheat, multigrain, all work well. Use what you have on hand.
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups of milk
- 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- few drops of tabasco sauce according to your preference
Add in a combination of any of the following choices. I will group them together with what I think is a good combination.
- 2 cups shredded or chopped leftover chicken
- 1-2 cups leftover steamed broccoli
- 1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped (or green onion)
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, what ever color you have on hand
- 1 package of bacon, pre cooked, browned sausage bits or ham, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups old cheddar cheese
- 1 cup pepperoni, chopped or pre cooked Italian sausage
- 1 cup mushrooms
- onion and peppers
- 1 sliced or diced tomato (seeded)
- 1/2 teaspoon of each, basil and oregano
- 1 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
or a tex mex version
- 1/2 cup of frozen corn, rinsed under hot water
- 1 1/2 cups of precooked ground beef seasoned with taco seasoning
- onions and peppers, green or black olives
- a few jalapenos tossed in if you like it spicy
- 1-1/2 cups tex mex cheese
or a completely vegetarian options use cooked spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, garlic or zucchini. Be creative, the possibilities are endless and if you like the ingredients, you will like the final outcome.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Add the 1/2 of cubed bread.
- Add 1/2 of what ever add ons you are using
- Add the remaining bread cubes and the remaining toppings.
- Mix together the eggs, milk, mustard and tabasco sauce if using.
- Pour over bread.
- Top with your choice of cheese.
- Let it sit covered in the refrigerator over night or at least a couple of hours so the bread soaks up all the milk and egg.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour.