My friend Jan was the hero of the appetizer table when she served these at a BBQ this summer.
She kindly gave me permission to share it with you.
Somehow wrapping bacon around something elevates the flavours to another level.
- 30 dates or prunes or both - make sure they are nice plump ones
- whole almonds - I used blanched ones.
- 10-12 slices bacon
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar
- Remove the pit of each date or prune and replace it with a blanched almond.
- Cut uncooked bacon slices into thirds. (crosswise)
- Wrap each date or prune with a third of a slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick.*
- Place close together in a baking pan and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake at 375º for about 30-40 minutes or until bacon is caramelized and crisp.
- Remove to platter and serve.
* If you soak the toothpicks in water for a half hour or so before assembling the dates, your toothpicks will not char like mine did.