Autumn is only one week away and so it is time to think about ingredients that showcase the bounty that is ready to harvest. Our apples are ready to pick and so I'm happy to make recipes that include apples. My friend Jen made this salad last fall for us at a camping weekend. This delicious healthy salad can be easily doubled or tripled to feed a crowd.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cups rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (adjust to your preference)
- Place quinoa in a fine sieve. Rinse and drain.
- In a medium saucepan add the quinoa to 1 1/2 cups boiling water, cover simmer about 12 - 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Place the dried cranberries/raisins on top of the hot quinoa to plump them up. Put the lid back on allow to come to room temperature.
- Add the chopped apple, the nuts and green onions and feta cheese.
- Mix the curry vinaigrette, toss with salad and refrigerate.