Happy Labour Day to all our friends!
This morning we'll be enjoying a farm fresh recipe that includes Roma Tomatoes and Basil from the garden and eggs from the hen house. Put on a pot of coffee and read your paper while this fragrant and healthy sauce simmers.
This recipe serves 2 - 4 and can easily be doubled.
- 2 tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes (adjust heat according to your preference)
- 4 roma tomatoes, finely diced
- 4 large basil leaves, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- toasted baguette slices
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat the avocado/olive oil in a medium saucepan and stir in garlic and red chili flakes. Stir for one minute and add the tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook down for ten minutes. Add basil and chives. Spoon into individual baking dishes that are arranged on a cookie sheet. Round work best for one egg and oval works best for two eggs. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese
- Break eggs into a custard cup and gently pour over the sauce.
- Bake in oven just until whites are set.
- Remove from oven and arrange toasted baguette slices around the baking dish.