With the cooler weather it's time to add some comfort food to the menu.
Here's a delicious way to dress up mashed potatoes.
- 4 medium potatoes partially peeled
- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces and fried until crisp
- 1 large leek, white and pale green part only, washed, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- warm milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Partially peel potatoes. ( I like having a bit of the potato skins peeping through the creamy white.)
- Place in a pan with cold water and salt to taste, bring to a boil and simmer until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, place bacon pieces in a fry pan and cook until crisp.
- Remove bacon to a paper towel with a slotted spoon.
- Add sliced leeks and minced garlic to bacon fat and saute over medium heat until leeks are soft and beginning to brown.
- Drain potatoes and mash, add sour cream and butter and enough warm milk to make a rough mash. For these potatoes, a rougher mash with a few lumps is desirable.
- Add bacon, leeks, garlic and some of the bacon fat to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve. Serves 3-4