Winter or summer we like to make fajita's on the grill. Flank or skirt steak is a good choice of meat.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 2 pounds flank or skirt steak
- olive oil
- 1 35gr package fajita mix
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into stips
- 1 red onion, cut into rings and then halved
- avocado, cut into strips
- cilantro, chopped
- tomatoes, chopped small
- lettuce, shredded
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese, grated
- tortilla shells
- Rub meat with olive oil and then rub with dry fajita mix. Place in a glass pan and cover. Place in refrigerator to marinade for 4 hours.
- Have all vegetables ready before you begin to grill.
- When ready to grill, heat grill to 400º. Place meat onto hot grill and cook until internal temperature is 145º. Close lid while grilling. This will be about 3-4 minutes on each side for medium rare. Cook longer if you don't want any pink.
- While meat is grilling, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to heavy hot griddle. Add peppers and onion and cook until they just begin to caramelize and soften. You can do these on the stove top or along side the meat on the grill in a cast iron skillet.
- Take meat off grill when done to desired doneness. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Slice meat very thinly across the grain.
- To heat tortilla's place directly on grill for approximately 15 seconds per side. Tortillas will puff up slightly and get nice grill marks.
- Serve with remaining ingredients on the side.