When I looked out and saw swirling snow, I decided it was a good time to stay inside and cook a pot of soup. I like to have soup on hand for our lunches. If you want to cut calories you can substitute milk for the cream.
Serve up this soup with cheese biscuits or those delicious multi-grain buns that were posted yesterday!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup 10% cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups mixed peas and carrots, frozen
- Melt the butter in a large pot, over medium heat.
- Add chopped celery and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in flour until well combined.
- Whisk in broth, water, cream and seasonings as well as the chicken bouillon.
- Add chicken and potatoes, cover and cook over medium heat till the potatoes are done, approx 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mixed peas and carrots and cook another 5 to 6 minutes.
- 4 to 5 servings.