Fresh baked focaccia bread slathered with a pesto and mayo, topped with a chicken breast fillet, roasted red peppers, smoked aged cheddar and fresh baby spinach.
This Tuscan style rustic sandwich is loaded with flavour!
I use Anneliese's french bread to make my focaccia bread.
Focaccia Bread Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups hot tap water
- 4 1/2-5 cups flour
- 2 tbsp instant yeast
- Mix in order given, mixing the yeast with a little flour and adding that while dough is still very soft. Add enough flour to make a dough that holds together in a ball shape and is not sticky if you handle it with floured hands. Cover. let rise until double, about 1/2 hour.
- Line a large (12x18") cookie sheet with parchment paper ( I lightly spray the paper with Pam which helps it come right out after baking) and press all the dough into pan.
- Brush top of dough with 1 tbsp of olive oil, and sprinkle with the following mixture.
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp finely chopped roasted red peppers
- t tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Using your fingers poke the dough all over giving it a bubbly look.
- Allow to rise another 30 minutes and then bake at 400º for approximately 15 minutes.
- Slide it out of pan and off of parchment onto a cooling rack as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Chicken filling Ingredients: (4 servings)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 small jar garlic and basil pesto
- 1 small jar roasted red peppers
- fresh baby spinach leaves
- smoked aged cheddar
- Place chicken breasts between wax or parchment paper and pound until they are thin.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil into a 9x13 glass pan and lay chicken in pan in a single layer.
- Top each breast with 1 tbsp pesto and 2 strips of roasted red peppers.
- Bake uncovered at 350º for 25 minutes.
To assemble sandwich:
Using a sharp bread knife cut 4 large square pieces of bread the size of your chicken pieces.
Slice them in half and lightly toast them under the broiler in your oven. (keep a close eye so they don't burn)
Spread both sides with mayo and pesto. Lay a hot chicken breast along with the pesto and peppers onto bottom half of bread. Top with a thin slice of smoked cheddar and a mound of fresh baby spinach.
Place the herb topped piece of focaccia on top and serve while it's hot!
You will have lots of bread left over if only serving 4 people. It freezes well. Wrap in parchment and then in a freezer bag. I wrap it in parchment and then foil to reheat once thawed.
This bread is perfect for dipping in olive oil and balsamic vinegar.