This is a great recipe for those left over hard boiled Easter eggs. For those of us who made Seernaya Paska this is a great recipe for using up all those egg whites. The basic white sauce can be kind of bland for some who like some zip in their food so I added some prepared mustard to the sauce along with some chives. The chives give the dish some added color.
Eggs a la Goldenrod
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- A pinch of white pepper (you can substitute black pepper if you’d like)
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- A tablespoon or more of prepared mustard according to taste (We enjoyed the country mustard with horseradish added)
- 8 hard boiled eggs
- 4 slices of toasted bread cut into triangles
- Peel the hard boiled eggs and separate the yolk from the white.
- Slice the egg whites into bite size portions.
- Press the yolks through a sieve and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat.
- Add the flour and blend well.
- Add the salt and the pepper.
- After about 4 minutes of cooking over low heat add the 2 cups of milk and turn up the heat to medium.
- Stir constantly until the milk begins to thicken.
- Whisk in the mustard.
- Add the chives and the eggs whites and heat through.
- Toast the bread and cut each piece into 4 triangles or whatever shape you’d like.
- Place bread on a plate and scoop a good portion of the prepared white sauce mixture over the bread. Garnish with the egg yolk that was pressed through a sieve.
This recipe will make at least 4 generous servings.