This cake's unusual combination of flavours -
chocolate, date and orange,
are a treat to the taste buds and make a great addition to a packed lunch.
Or you can serve it with a dollop of whipped cream for a satisfying dessert.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour ( you can substitute 1/2 the flour with whole wheat flour if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease the bottom only of a 9x9 square pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Stir together chopped dates and baking soda in a mixing bowl and add boiling water.
- Stir and set aside to cool until lukewarm.
- Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl, beat butter together with sugar until light.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between additions.
- Add cocoa, orange rind and vanilla.
- With a spoon or spatula, stir in date mixture, salt and flour, mixing until well blended.
- Fold in 1/2 of the chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Sprinkle top with remaining chocolate chips and all of the nuts.
- Bake At 350º for 30 minutes or until cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold, with or without whipped cream.
This cake is very good cold so I store it in the refrigerator. It also freezes well.