We enjoy fish tacos and find this an easy way to bump up the flavour of white fish.
You don't need to make the Hot hot sauce to enjoy the fish if you prefer milder flavours.
If you would rather. . .just add a bit of salsa over the fish fillets instead.
You can also substitute fresh jalapeno pepper and cilantro. I always keep the dried bits on hand.
Fish is easy to keep in the freezer and when I make the fish tacos including the hot hot sauce. . .I have it on the table in about 30 mintues.
- 1 pound tilapia fillet
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon freeze dried cilantro
Combine all the ingredients in a zip loc bag except for the fish. Add the fish and allow to marinate 20 minutes while you make the sauce.
Hot Hot Sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic or 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 3 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried chopped jalapeno pepper flakes or 1 fresh one
- 1 teaspoon Asian hot chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil, and add the chopped onions and fry until translucent.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, peppers and seasoning.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Spoon into a blender and carefully (leave the middle open). .pulse until the sauce is just minced. . and return to the saucepan and simmer on low while you fry the fish.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a non stick fry pan on medium high and add the fish and lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Fry on the first side until golden brown. ..several minutes, turn over and finish on the other side.
- Fry only several pieces at one time. . keeping the rest warm in a 325 oven. Fish only takes a few minutes if the fillets are thin.
- shredded green cabbage
- diced cucumber
- diced red bell pepper (use the mini peppers if you can)
- several tablespoons diced onion
- tartar sauce
- flour tortillas (warmed in foil in the oven)
- Put the shredded cabbage in one small bowl.
- Combine the cucumber, red pepper and diced onion all together in another small bowl.
- To assemble the tacos. . . spread a little tartar sauce over the warmed tortilla.
- Sprinkle with shredded cabbage and then arrange the fish in the center.
- Put a few teaspoons of hot hot sauce over the fish and sprinkle with the remaining veggies.