I make these sandwiches when I have leftover "Cutletten".
Judy posted a recipe for "Kotletten" (you can find it under the "Mennonite Recipies" section of this blog) which is basically the same as my recipe for"Cutletten". My precious Mother in Law always fried hers in a pan using only a Tbsp. or 2 of oil and she would occasionally coat them with bread crumbs before frying them. Any way you make them, they are a treat and there are usually enough leftover to make this delicious sandwich the next day.
- Leftover "Cutletten"
- 1/2 of a medium onion, sliced
- 1/4 red or yellow pepper cut into strips
- 1/4 green pepper cut into strips
- grated cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese or a mixture
- bread slices
- butter, BBQ sauce and mayonaise ( if desired)
- Saute' onion and peppers in a pan until they lose their crunch.
- Place bread slices on a pan and toast lightly in the oven.
- Turn the slices over and spread other side with butter, mayo (if desired) and BBQ sauce.
- Cut leftover Cutletten in half and lay flat sides on bread. (I often fry the meat lightly to warm it before putting it on the bread)
- Top with saute'ed vegetables and grated cheese.
- Broil, watching closely until cheese melts.
- Serve open faced with Bread and Butter pickles.