The meatballs are cooked in the slightly simmering sauce. . they stay juicy and plump.
- 1 cup day old bread cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 hot Italian sausage links. . .casings removed
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 cup grated Parmigiana Cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup of dry red wine
- 2 - 28 ounce or 794 ml. diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce jar tomato sauce with seasonings
- 1 teaspoon salt ( do this to taste)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
Instructions for Meatballs
- Place the bread and milk in a small bowl and let it soak.
- Heat a heavy large dutch oven over medium heat. . .and then add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and stir until golden .. .remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, and sausage meat. . .combine with your hands.
- Add the seasonings, cheese and bread and eggs and combine.
- Add the cooled onion and salt and pepper. . .and combine.
- Set aside.
Instructions for the sauce
- In the pot that you cooked the onion, add the olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion and the garlic and stir a few minutes until wilted.
- Add the tomato paste, the tomatoes and the tomato sauce and the wine.
- Add the remaining sauce seasonings. . .the pepper flakes, the parsley and the basil and sugar and then the salt and pepper to taste. . .let it simmer a while first.
Adding the meatballs
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop up a portion of meat. .and with your hands shape into a ball. . .add to the sauce and repeat with the remainder of the meat. You can use your hands if you don't have a scoop.
- Keep the sauce at a very low simmer. . .this will keep the fat from separating out of the meatballs.
- Simmer for at least 1 1/2 hours so that the flavour of the meatballs and flavour the sauce. I couldn't believe how much different the sauce tasted after several hours.