Always a favourite in the summer, a spinach salad is as varied as those who make it.
Here is the way I make it - with a few options so you can choose.
The amount of each ingredient will depend on how many you are serving.
- fresh Spinach leaves
- bacon slices - I use 4-6 slices
- red onion thinly sliced
- fresh mushrooms, sliced
- red peppers, chopped or sliced
- chopped green onions (optional)
- thawed frozen green peas or bean sprouts
- boiled eggs, sliced or chopped
- shredded mozzarella or swiss cheese
- toasted almonds or pinenuts
- small cooked shrimp if desired
- 2 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar - or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard - or to taste
- 4-6 tablespoons salad oil
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- salt and pepper
- Chop bacon into pieces and fry until crispy. Remove 2 tablespoons. of the bacon fat and set aside in a small bowl. Remove bacon to paper towel and set aside.
- Saute' red onion and mushrooms in a bit of butter only until wilted. Set aside.
- Make dressing* - You'll notice there is a lot of tasting going on here. I've listed the basic ingredients but feel free to adjust it to your liking Whisk all dressing ingredients together in pan and heat gently until warm.
- Assemble salad. Arrange spinach on a large platter and layer the other ingredients adding the shredded cheese and green onions last. Garnish as desired with egg slices, red pepper slices and a sprinkle of almonds.
- Serve salad immediately with the dressing on the side.