I found the banana cake recipe works perfectly for this cake. Mix as per instructions above...and then bake in a 10" inch springform pan and a small round Pyrex bowl (for monkey nose). I also made one mini loaf, that I carved into a banana shape.
Creamy Vanilla Frosting
This frosting spreads and pipes smoothly. Make sure the butter is really soft so the frosting won't split when tinted.
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) butter, softened
- 6 cups (1.5 L) icing sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whipping cream
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
In large bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Alternately beat in sugar and cream, making 3 additions of sugar and 2 of cream. Beat in vanilla.
- Remove a small amount of icing to be tinted yellow...for small banana cake.
- Divide remaining frosting into two bowls. Tint one portion a skin-tone.
- Add 2 squares semi-sweet chocolate (melted) to remaining frosting.
- Centre round cake on prepared base...allowing enough room for small banana cake below.
- Position nose on monkey's face...and glue in place with frosting.
- Put a skim coat of skin-toned icing over entire cake...with a somewhat thicker layer over face area.
- Position vanilla wafer for ears. Using icing bags and decorating tips to apply chocolate icing. I used assorted chocolates for the mouth, nose and eyes...but use your imagination!
- Frost tiny banana 'smash cake' with yellow icing...add a few green streaks with toothpick.