I found the banana cake recipe works perfectly for this cake. Mix as per instructions above...and then bake in a 10" inch springform pan and a small round Pyrex bowl (for monkey nose). I also made one mini loaf, that I carved into a banana shape.
Creamy Vanilla Frosting
This frosting spreads and pipes smoothly. Butter should be soft to prevent the frosting from splitting when tinted.
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) butter, softened
- 6 cups (1.5 L) icing sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) whipping cream
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- In large bowl, beat butter until fluffy.
- Alternately, beat in sugar and creamin three additions of each.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Remove a small amount of icing to be tinted yellow...for small banana cake.
- Divide remaining frosting into two bowls. Tint one portion a skin-tone.
- Add 2 squares semi-sweet chocolate (melted) to remaining frosting.
- Center round cake on prepared base, allowing enough room for small banana cake below.
- Position nose on monkey's face and glue in place with frosting.
- Put a skim coat of skin-toned icing over entire cake, with a somewhat thicker layer over face area.
- Position vanilla wafer for ears.
- Use frosting bags and decorating tips to apply chocolate icing.
- I used assorted chocolates for the mouth, nose and eyes...but use your imagination!
- Frost tiny banana 'smash cake' with yellow icing and add a few green streaks with toothpick.