I snipped this banana cake recipe from a farm publication called The Western Producer not too long ago. It is great served with warm caramel sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3-4 mashed bananas
- 1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Mix butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs...and vanilla, bananas and buttermilk.
- Stir in dry ingredients and mix until blended.
- Pour into a greased nine by thirteen inch pan...or two nine inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes...or until set in centre.
Warm Caramel Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup firmly packed sugar
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat.
- Add sugar; cook until melted, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sour cream and cook for 1 minute.
I have also used this cake as the base for my grandson's birthday cake. What could be more appropriate for a monkey cake than a moist banana cake recipe? I'll post instructions for the monkey cake below.