- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 heaping tablespoons cocoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Mix sugar and eggs well, gradually beating in the oil, then the buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir in combined dry ingredients.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins 3/4 full. Makes 12 large or 18 medium sized cupcakes.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 min. Remove from muffin trays and cool on wire rack. Ice with chocolate icing once cooled.
Mix 2 cups icing sugar with 2 tablespoons soft margarine, 1 tablespoon cocoa and enough milk to make a spread-able consistency. Sprinkle with chocolate or colored sprinkles. Freeze in air tight container once the icing has dried.