For Flashback Friday I'm sharing my favourite cake.
My Mom baked it often and I think of her each time I make it.
It is light, full of fresh orange flavour and is a wonderful dessert after a heavy meal.
It bakes up best in a 9" tube pan - it won't look as nice if baked in an angelfood pan.
I found mine at a garage sale but I'm sure you could buy one in a specialty kitchen store.
- 1 1/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Sift dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well and add in order, oil, orange juice, egg yolks and orange rind.
- Beat with a spoon until smooth.
- In another bowl, using a mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- With a spatula, gently fold beaten eggs whites into orange batter. Pour into an 8 or 9 inch ungreased tube pan.
- Bake at 325˚ F for about 1/2 hour or until top springs back when touched lightly.
- Immediately invert and suspend so that cake surface does not touch anything. Cool completely.
- Remove from pan.
- Fill with orange filling and ice with 7-minute frosting or use the pudding cream variation below.
- 6 level tablespoons flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Sift sugar flour and salt into the top of a double boiler,
- Add boiling water to sifted dry ingredients a little at a time, stirring between additions. Mix well.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- When thick, cover saucepan and cook on low for 20 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks slightly, add a little of the hot mixture to the egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Continue adding hot mixture, a little at a time.
- Return to double boiler and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add orange juice and rind and butter and mix well.
Orange Pudding Cream
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 package vanilla instant pudding
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- grated orange rind or toasted coconut or mandarin orange segments
- Empty vanilla instant pudding mix into a bowl.
- Add orange juice and blend well.
- Let stand while you whip cream in another bowl.
- Fold pudding into whipped cream.
- Cut cake into one or more layers.
- To assemble cake, spread orange marmalade between each layer and cover marmalade with some of the pudding cream.
- Spread remaining pudding cream over top and sides of cake.
- Garnish with grated orange rind or toasted coconut or mandarin orange segments.
- Refrigerate until serving.