Because waffles are one of those foods you can have any time of day, why not for dessert? This is an easy way to serve a delicious Black Forest type dessert. Make the waffles ahead, if you like, and toast them up on the oven rack for a few minutes just before serving.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
Cherry Berry Topping:
- 1 can light n' fruity cherry pie filling
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- almond extract or vanilla to taste
- In mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add wet in order given and mix with hand mixer until thoroughly mixed. Maybe a minute, then let sit while the waffle iron heats.
- Scoop about 2 serving spoons of batter into center of iron, about 3 inches in diameter (as a round waffle) allowing space on the sides to make a smaller waffle. If using a square waffle iron, just fill as usual and separate sections when done.
- Cook until done. Remove gently (will be soft) onto wire rack. If too soft to remove, let sit in open iron for a minute. Keep warm in 175 F oven to crisp slightly or re-heat just before serving, if making ahead.
- Mix cherry pie filling and strawberries
- Beat whipping cream until stiff, In separate bowl beat cream cheese and sugar, then combine with whipped cream. Add flavor according to taste.
- Serve each waffle with a nice serving of fruit and cream. Drizzle with chocolate syrup if desired.