Maybe you still have some left over cooked turkey in your freezer to try these for a ladies' lunch. These fancy turkey puffs are something my mom made for our engagement party and stand out in my memory because she rarely made something from a package. I think the recipe may have been on the Tenderflake Patty Shells box and must have looked good to her. I do not have that original recipe, but have re-created it according to memory and taste.
Ingredients for 6 shells:
- 1 pkg Tenderflake Patty Shells (frozen)
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 tsp better than bouillon or 1/2 bouillon cube (chicken)
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups cooked turkey, cubed
- 1 cup petite peas, steamed
- Bake patty shells at 400 F for about 20 - 25 minutes, until nice golden in color. Gently remove lid and remove any layers inside that appear wet. Discard them. Leave shells on cooling rack.
- In saucepan, cook onion in butter until soft.
- Over low/medium heat, stir in flour and then slowly add milk, a little at a time, stirring to make a white sauce. Add chicken bouillon seasoning.
- Stir in turkey and peas. This filling should be a thick consistency. If needed, add more turkey.
- The shells are best if served fresh on day of, filled with hot filling and warmed in oven for 5 minutes. Filled patties can be reheated if served next day.