I'm not only a Mennonite Girl Can Cook but I'm also an Egg Farmer of Canada.
Last week I was invited to come to Global News to do an Eggnog segment wearing my Egg Farmers of Canada apron. This eggnog is smooth and creamy and since it only uses 1% milk with no cream it is a healthy eggnog option. Check this and other recipes on eggs.ca for many more ideas on what to make for your Holiday meals.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons water (divided)
- 6 eggs
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Begin by making the caramel. Combine sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a large saucepan. Stir over medium heat constantly until the sugar melts and turns amber. Remove from heat and carefully drizzle in remaining water and stir to make a smooth caramel. Be careful with this step because it can easily spatter and it is very hot.
- Whisk eggs in a large saucepan and add milk continuing to whisk. Turn heat to medium and whisk in caramel.
- Continue to whisk until the egg mixture begins to steam and coats the back of a spoon. (See the video to see how this should look)
- Immediately pour mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl which is placed over ice water and ice cubes. Add flavouring and stir for 15 minutes.
- Chill well.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream if desired and a drizzle of liqueur of your choice.
Follow the link here to see Lovella's demonstration on Global BC Noon News.