How many of you head to the computer when you're looking for a meal idea or for a particular recipe?
I love paging through magazines and cookbooks but find myself turning more and more often to the internet - to Pinterest or various recipe sites for ideas.
Lately, I've been intrigued by several chicken lasagna recipes I've seen on the internet
and decided to experiment with the fall flavours of butternut squash and sage.
Here's what we had for dinner tonight. I must say it was delicious.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
3 cups milk
3/4 tsp fresh sage, chopped fine (2nd amount)
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400º F.
- Remove outer paper skin from garlic head, slice the tips off of the whole head and place on a square piece of foil.
- Drizzle the garlic with 1 teaspoon olive oil, gather the four corners of the foil and twist.
- Place garlic in oven and roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Cut squash into 1/4" slices and then cut again to make 1 inch pieces.
- Toss in a bowl with olive oil and salt and pepper and 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh sage.
- Lay squash pieces on parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in oven alongside the garlic.
- Roast squash for 12 minutes or just until tender.
- Saute' leeks in butter until tender.
- Mix Ricotta cheese with egg and Parmesan cheese. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Make white sauce by blending melted butter and flour, adding milk and seasoning. Stir and cook until thickened. ( I do this in the microwave)
- When garlic is done, squeeze the cloves out of the paper skin, into the white sauce and whisk until blended.
- In a 9"x 13" pan or two smaller pans, assemble lasagna in layers as follows:
2nd layer: 1/2 of the chicken slices, spinach, 1/2 of the leeks, 1/2 of the butternut squash, 1 cup or so of white sauce
3rd layer: lasagna noodles, 1/2 of Ricotta cheese mixture, remaining chicken, squash and leeks, cover with white sauce
4th layer: lasagna noodles,, remaining ricotta cheese, white sauce
5th layer: sliced Mozzarella cheese, 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh sage.
14. Cover with foil and bake in preheated 350º F oven for 40 minutes.
15. Remove foil and continue to bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese begins to brown and the casserole bubbles.
16. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting and serving.