Last year I was gifted a cookbook from my daughter's friend. This was a recipe she had submitted in the cookbook and I was eager to try it. The combination of ingredients makes for a tasty and healthy meal. She noted that you can substitute the fish sauce for another tablespoon of soy sauce, but I have to agree with her that the fish sauce is a key ingredient to the flavour of this dish. We like the sauce so I sometimes double it, but still only use the same amount of chicken and vegetables.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp red curry paste
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- In a large nonstick frying pan heat oil; stir-fry curry paste in oil for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken strips and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add onion and continue to stir for 1 minute, then add pepper strips and lemon rind. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until onions are just beginning to soften.
- Stir in coconut milk, sauces and lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
Serve over jasmine or basmati rice. Garnish with fresh herbs. Serves 4