I got this recipe from my Aunt Emmy when I was still a teenager.My Dad loves it when I make a batch of these for him.
- 1 cup shortening (no substitutes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup coconut
- Maraschino cherries, each cut into quarters (opt.)
- Mix shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla until well blended.
- Add dry ingredients and coconut mixing well. The dough will be a bit crumbly.
- Form into 1 inch balls, pressing dough together.
- Carefully press each ball with the tines of a fork.
- Blot maraschino cherry pieces on a paper towel.
- Carefully press a cherry piece into the middle of each cookie. (I hold the edges of the cookie together so it doesn't crumble.)
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. Do not over bake. The cookies should be white with just a hint of browning on the bottom.