Ingredients for the biscuits:
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Using a pastry blender cut butter into the dry ingredients.
- Crack eggs into a cup, add enough buttermilk to fill up 1 cup. Lightly mix eggs and buttermilk with a fork.
- Pour into bowl with dry ingredients.
- Mix only until flour is incorporated, handle as little as possible to make light biscuits. The dough will be sticky and in order to roll into balls you might need to add a wee bit of flour. The dough should still be slightly sticky.
- Take pieces of dough and roll into 17 balls.
- Roll each ball into following mixture:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, I used pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Combine ingredients and roll the balls of dough in this mixture.
- Place in a greased 9" round pie pan.
- Bake at 400º for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Invert immediately on a plate.
- Cool slightly and drizzle with glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice