My Borscht is much like the soup my mom cooked...for which there never was a written recipe. But it goes something like this...
- 2 lbs. soup bones, with lots of meat
- 8-10 cups water
- 2-4 carrots, sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 large (or 2 medium) onions, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 whole red chili peppers (dried)
- fresh dill (a handful or to taste)
- 2 tins tomato soup
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (optional)
- Cover soup bones with water and simmer until meat is tender (several hours).
- Remove the bone and shred the beef. Add more water to make 8-10 cups of stock before adding the vegetables.
- Add vegetables and seasonings (put chili peppers and dill into a spice cup or cheesecloth), and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add tomato soup, diced tomatoes, and shredded beef...and bring to a boil.
- Serve with sour cream.
Fresh dill is the best...but can also be harvested in season and frozen in ziplock bags to be used in soup.