- 1 can (14 oz / 398 ml) refried beans
- 1 lb / 500gr lean ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup hot salsa, divided
- 1 cup chopped Roma tomatoes (de-seed)
- 1 chopped sweet pepper (red, yellow, orange or a mix)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups grated Tex-Mex cheese (use Monterey Jack, cheddar or Mozzarella if you prefer)
- 1 cup sour cream
- chopped onion greens, sliced pitted olives and chopped tomatoes for garnish
- Combine refried beans with 1/4 cup salsa. Spread evenly over bottom of oven-proof dish (about 12" round or 9" x 12").
- Brown the beef. Drain off excess fat and stir in the taco seasoning mix and 3/4 cup of salsa. Heat through.
- Spread the meat mixture over the bean mixture.
- Sprinkle with a layer of peppers and chopped tomatoes.
- Cover with a layer of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350° F for about 25 minutes (or until bubbly and heated through).
- Just prior to serving, spread sour cream over the dish and garnish with chopped green onions, olives and tomatoes.
- Scoop onto plates and eat with warm taco chips.
Tip ~ Place taco chips in a single layer on a cookie sheet and heat at 350° F for 5 minutes.
Before the game is over...you will be licking the bottom of the dish. Enjoy!