This recipe originated with Jean Pare of Company's Coming...a Canadian favorite...and I've changed it up a little over the years. Use your favorite pastry recipe...check out Anneliese's pastry tips on this blog...or purchase ready-made pastry at the supermarket. I usually make a large batch of pastry (recipe on the Tenderflake lard package) and freeze the pastry to use later at a moment's notice.
- Pastry for a 2 crust pie
- 2 cups cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup rhubarb, chopped
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Roll out pastry and line 9 inch pie plate. Roll top crust and set aside.
- Combine 1 cup sugar with flour and tapioca in large bowl.
- Add apples, rhubarb and berries. Toss well.
- Turn into pie shell.
- Dampen crust edge; cover with top pastry. Trim and crimp to seal.
- Pierce top crust with fork to vent.
- Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and continue to bake for another 40 minutes...or until golden and bubbly.